- National Writing Project
National Writing Project is the premier effort to improve writing in America, providing models for leadership programs and research.
- National Writing Projects of Michigan OWP is an affiliate of this statewide organization comprised of nine university-sponsored sites.
- University of Michigan School of Education The University of Michigan School of Education sponsors the OWP through its commitment to a mission focused on research, teaching, professional service, and diversity. Adrian College Adrian College proudly supports the OWP, as it shares an emphasis on teachers as writers and social justice.
- Oakland Schools Oakland Schools sponsors the OWP and professional development workshops throughout the year.
- National Council of Teachers of English NCTE has provided a forum for the profession, an array of opportunities for teachers to continue their professional growth throughout their careers, and a framework for cooperation to deal with issues that affect the teaching of English.
- American Educational Research Association AERA is concerned with improving the educational process by encouraging scholarly inquiry related to education and by promoting the dissemination and practical application of research results. Selected Resources to Support the Teaching of Writing
- The Online Poetry Classroom (OPC) Project OPC provides both professional development for high school Language Arts teachers and a virtual teaching community enabling teachers across the country to access free poetry resources online, including innovative, classroom-tested curricula.
- American Memory American Memory is a gateway to rich primary source materials relating to the history and culture of the United States. The site offers more than 7 million digital items from more than 100 historical collections.
- National Digital Archives The National Digital Archives mission is to ensure ready access to the essential evidence that documents the rights of American citizens, the actions of Federal officials, and the national experience. Among the treasures available to you here online are the cornerstone documents of our Government:
EDSITEment, The Best of the Humanities on the Web from the National Endowment for the Humanities in partnership with the National Trust for the Humanities, and the MarcoPolo Education Foundation. This educational partnership brings online humanities resources from some of the world’s great museums, libraries, cultural institutions, and universities directly to your classroom.
- WhoYouShouldKnow.com This excellent (and free!) resource for teachers and students provides daily doses of important information about today’s world leaders and their countries to help Americans gain a better understanding of the people and nations of the world.
- Writing Prompt IdeasWriting Prompts Called “Idea Joggers”, these weekly writing prompts will help jumpstart the writing process when the page remains blank. Archived topics are also available. More Writing Prompts Scroll down for numerous story starters, opinion prompts, or narrative ideas.
- Pick-A-Grade Writing Prompt Select your grade level for an appropriate writing prompt and exercise.
- Story Starters These story starters for elementary students offer three different prompts in each series, with text, visual, or auditory prompts. They also include writing rubrics for each grade level. Writing Topics This site offers several brief writing topics, all categorized by grade level.
- Bright Ideas for Writing For elementary classes, find writing exercises here for all genres, including opinion and persuasive essays, writing instructions, stories, or personal narratives.
- Yearly Writing Program Select either single paragraph topics for elementary students or five paragraph essay assignments for older classes, and find a year’s worth of writing exercises here.
- Creative Writing Worksheets These story starters come in printable student worksheets, and should appeal to upper elementary through to middle school students.
- NWP Radio – These radio programs are provided as an information resource to leaders of National Writing Project sites.